History of the Original Ferguson's Battery
Ferguson's Artillery was organized in April of 1862 as a four gun battery of two light twelve pounders (Napoleons) and two six pounder smooth bore pieces. Until May of 1863, Ferguson's was assigned to the Military District of South Carolina, Department of South Carolina, Georgia and Florida. At that time, it was transferred to the Department of Mississippi and East Louisiana. In July, Ferguson's was reassigned to Walker's Division, Hardee's Corps, Army of Tennessee. Major operations in 1863 saw Ferguson's in the Battle of Chickamauga, the siege of Chattanooga, Ringgold, Ga and the assault on Missionary Ridge, where its guns were captured by the Federals. In 1864 the unit saw action in February at Tunnel Hill, GA, followed by the Atlanta Campaign in May including the Battles of Resaca, New Hope Church, Kennesaw Mountain, Peach Tree Creek, Atlanta, and Jonesborough. In November of 1864 Ferguson's was in the engagement at Spring Hill and Nashville. In 1865, the men were in the Campaign of the Carolinas including the Battle of Bentonville and the surrender at Bennett's House, Durham Station, with fewer than fifty members left in the battery.